I'm Lulu. Nikisha Nadeen Jackson. I guess Lulu is the equivalent of Beyonce's Sasha Fierce. She's been around for a while but finally she has a name. Losing my phone a few days ago has allowed me to embrace her and bring her to life without distraction. Lulu is a PR Maven (or at least she will be). The point of this blog is to record the journey of me (or lulu) finding her place in the world of PR. It's what I was meant to do.
Nikisha never wanted to do entertainment or fashion PR. At one point she was sure pharmaceutical pr was the way to go. But after interning at Blue Flame Marketing and working one event, there was no turning back. Holding that clip board was pure power. "Sorry you're not on the list. Please step to the side." Bitchy? Yes. I mean no. I was just doing what I was told.
And then there's my dream to work at the best. magazine. ever. GLAMOUR. I started reading it a little over a year ago and I am so sure that I would fit in so perfectly on their payroll. There isn't one thing I don't absolutely love about this magazine. But that could be a whole post in and of itself. (Every time I get to use the phrase "in and of itself" my heart smiles) Back to the basics...
After graduating in December with my BA in Communications (concentration in Public Relations and Advertising) I was sure I didn't want to look for a "real job" or career for at least a year. Italy in January, Miami in March, Aruba in 2 days! How could I possibly give a 110% and shine at any job when I'm busy racking up frequent flier miles? Then it happened. As I was shopping for my trip to Aruba I was hit with the realization that the time is now! I have to start looking now! Fine, so a lot of this realization was the fact that I couldn't afford half of what I wanted in Zara on what I make at my job now. Thinking about it now though I've made many of life decisions around clothing. ::Wavy flashback scene:: 10 or 11 y/o Nikisha sitting in her older cousins bedroom and looking into her closet. Pencil skirts, fitted blazers, button down shirts, leather totes and killer shoes. I couldn't be a surgeon and dress like that. I was gonna be in business so that everyone could see how nicely I dressed. (Probably the first sign of Lulu) Thanks to the show ER I wanted nothing more than to save peoples lives but just like that it changed. ::Back to present:: But some also had to do with the fact that I can't afford a lot of things on what I make now. You can't move to Willamsburg and be hip on a spa receptionist salary.
So here goes. I'm taking all the necessary baby steps. Here's the blog, an example of my writing skills. And I'm networking socially...I've officially joined the world of twitter today. @lulujaxon
Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment